Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Growing Old Together and Still Learning

 
 
I’ve heard people say something about the disadvantages of growing old and others would reply, "But it beats the alternative." I think I have even responded in such a way. Recently I have pondered on that reply and come to the conclusion it isn’t true if you are prepared for the alternative. Just think.....for the obedient child of God the alternative to old age is spending eternity in Heaven with no aches and pains; no sorrows; no grief and every day with the Father! Nope, growing old doesn’t beat the alternative......but one can still enjoy growing old on this earth before being ushered into "the alternative."
 
We both have our ups and downs. I have to take medication for high blood pressure, have diverticulosis, irritable bowel Syndrome and a few other old age problems. Doyal has VERY LITTLE wrong with him. He does have a nasty rash that the dermatologist is baffled with and treating aggressively. But.....hey.....we are able to travel; go to the nursing home and visit the "young people" there (several younger than either of us); teach bible classes; preach (Doyal...not me!); text, take pictures, Skype, email, and Facetime (me, not Doyal) and we both still get out of bed each morning, dress ourselves and get on with our day.
 
 
The last paragraph segues nicely into a conversation we had the other day. We were discussing which leg we put in our pants first. Now you might ask why in the world two people our ages, who had been married for 60 years, 7 months and 2 days do not know that answer. I can’t tell you why. I suppose we were waiting to get to those "important" issues later in our marriage and this seemed as good a time as any to find out.
 
 
Here’s our conclusion. I put the wrong leg in first! I put my right leg in first. I also put on my socks (right first) and then my shoes (right first of course.) Doyal does the opposite. He has in recent years found out a few other strange things about me. I must be a tad ambidextrous as I unscrew bottle caps with my left hand. I also pour the water in the coffee maker opposite from him. And, I shuffle and deal cards left handed. Now, before you think I’m the only odd one in this household let me tell you more.


 
I suppose Doyal was putting his left leg in his pants as far back as our honeymoon but I only realized it just the other day.



I have been nagging Doyal for years to get a hearing aid. I learned several years ago that I mumble, the television sound was going bad, others didn’t speak up, etc. Finally I got him to go for a free test. It was determined that it wasn’t me, or the television, or others....but it was his ears! They could fix that problem easily with hearing aids......$6,000 worth! I said, "Do it!" He said, "No way." I accused him of being vain until he explained, in his thinking, "I am in my 80's and probably won’t live long enough to get full use out of them." With his health I wouldn’t put it past him to get to 100 + (and if I’m still around to nag, hound and thoroughly enjoy him, that would be fine with me.)
 
 
Between one of our ladies at church and me we talked him into getting one hearing aid from off the internet like the ones she had and found beneficial. This was only $375 and IT WORKS. Well, that is a bit of an understatement! It only works WHEN he wears it. I was nagging him the other day about not wearing it and do you know what he said? Of course you don’t. But, I’m going to tell you. He said he was afraid he would lose it! I have a "stash" in my very own little savings account and assured him if he would wear it all the time and then lost it I would buy him another. Looking over there at him now I realize I won’t have to be concerned about digging into my stash any time soon.
 
 
And while I’m sharing our inner-most secrets I’ll share this. Here awhile back he had to have a front tooth removed. He had four choices: 1. Leave it as it is....snaggled toothed. 2. Get a flipper for $375. 3. Have a bridge put in for a couple of thousand. 4. Have a permanent tooth "spiked in" for about $5,000. Joy of all joys!!!!! He didn’t chose the first option! I pushed for the fourth option and his reasoning was this: "I am in my 80's and probably won’t live long enough to get my money’s worth out of it. And, besides that, we have two grandchildren in college and two to start soon and that would help them if they needed it." You are asking now....don’t tell me you aren’t.....if he wears the flipper. I am happy to say that rarely does he go anywhere that he doesn’t remember to put it in.....but here at the house he’s like the cover of the Mad Comic book! And often smiles at me and says, "Me worry?"

 
Here is where I wanted to post the cutest picture ever of Doyal smiling ear to ear with his tooth out.  The vanity kicked in though and he refused to let me post that for the world to see......who am I kidding.....the world?  Well, at least some of the most important people in my world (YOU) will be reading this.  And, if you aren't reading it, well you aren't. :)
 
 
This rambling was only to let you know that the longer you are married, the more you know about each other and the more fun you can have together.
 
 
April 4, 1953
(Edited, November 7, 2013 after reading Claudia's comment.....Thanks Claudia......Yep, this picture was NOT taken in 1953 but sometimes in the 70's when we just drove through the area.  Some of the kids think we look like artists, writers, or some sort of creative geniuses in this picture.  I'll take that.)
 
Proverbs 5:18
May your fountain be blessed,
and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.
NIV
 
 
March 31, 2013, Four days before being married 60 years.
 
 
 
My prayer is that we can go hand-in-hand into the gates of Heaven when the time comes.
 
 

 

 

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the funny post! But the picture you have posted showing you and Daddy as "April 1953", is much later, like 20 years? I remember you when you looked like this picture. Y'all just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!! So funny!! I don't think I've seen that picture of you two taken this past March. I believe that's one of the best y'all have had taken! Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always love to read/hear your thoughts.

    I have thought exactly the same as your thoughts in the first paragraph!

    Love you!
    Barbara E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pointing that out Claudia. Notice I made some changes there.

    And thanks to you, Lindsey and Barbara, for the comments.

    And, Lindsey, thanks to you for sharing on Facebook. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I have a picture that looks almost exactly like that last picture. We were on our way to eat fish one time and I was in the back and took a picture of yall holding hands because it was just too cute:)

    ReplyDelete