Thursday, November 14, 2013

THE CONDITION IS REMISSION!

Yesterday I was involved in the best news I’ve had since learning we were going to be great-grandparents for the 32nd and 33rd time!


Our good friend, sister in Christ and "adopted" daughter and I had an appointment with her oncologist to learn the results of the scan she had Monday. Dr. Partridge came in with a smile on her face.....good sign. She sat and asked Margie a lot of questions about her general health.....a little unsettling. She checked out the computer and then checked it out again........getting a bit scary at this point. Then.......BOOM! Very casually, but with a huge smile she let us know that the tumor on Margie’s lung that once threatened her life was no more....gone.....nada! She did tell us there are three very, very small spots on the lung that were there at the beginning and she’ll keep a close track of them, but they could be anything. She explained that many people living in our area have spots on their lungs.
 

My question at that point was, "So can we say she is cancer free?"
 

Reply, "I like to use ‘in remission’ until she has been clear for five years and then use the term ‘cancer free’."
 

But, she told me I could use Cancer Free and that’s what we prefer!


 
Margie and Dr. Partridge soon after the announcement.
 


Talk about joyful!!!! Dr. Partridge was definitely joyful and smiling from ear to ear. We walked out into the office area and the girls behind the desk were waiting for the news. I thought both of them were going to shout! They hugged us both and gladly had their picture made with Margie. We just had to go back to the treatment room and share the good news with the girls who have been such a big part of our lives since early June. They too were beyond excited. The only down-side was learning that one of the girls who has journeyed with us through the good times and the bad times is no longer with the center. She has gone back to her first love......working in labor and delivery! Although we are proud for her, we were sad to know she wasn’t around.
 
 

 
These two girls from the office (along with others) have been with us every step of the way.  Once, when Margie was at her sickest, I began sniffing as I left her for a few minutes.  The girl on the left, Naomi saw me and asked what was wrong.  Of course I "lost it" and she was so sweet to take me in her arms and give me the biggest hug ever.
 
 
Two of the sweet nurses who administered chemo.  The other who was a huge help is the one who has moved.  I always knew this, but this journey has reinforced it:  Nurses are the most caring and loving people in the world.  Love these girls and all the others at the OHC in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.
 
 
 
As we walked......almost danced.....to the car we met a man wheeling his wife out to their car from treatment. We had never seen them before and I asked if she had just begun her treatment. She said this was her first day. As we talked, we found she has lung cancer and her treatment will be much like Margie’s. Margie took the time to talk with her, tell her a few things to expect and encouraged her to keep on keeping on. I truly believe we were put in the right place at the right time for this to happen. She is just beginning a long, hard journey, but she could see Margie and the results she has had and I believe that has given her hope.
 

To all of you who have made this journey with us......through your cards, your gifts, your deeds, your thoughts and your prayers I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I know Margie does as well. Her life, nor mine, will ever be the same because of the good that has come from this!
 

God is so good. God is so good. God is so good. He’s so good to me (us)!!!!



(I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures.  I won't make excuses as I really don't know the reason.  But they all show how happy everyone was to learn the good news!)


3 comments:

  1. I really believe you were in the right place at just the right time for that lady beginning her treatment, to give her hope and encouragement. So grateful to God for Margie, for being such an encourager through this whole journey. So much good came out of this, brought out the best in everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drue, I'm sitting here with tears of joy in my eyes I'm so happy for Margie! Praise God! To Him be the glory. I hope some day soon I'll be able to tell a similar story about my cousin Jeannie getting this kind of good news. She's in her second bought with cancer after 4.5 years. She's had one round of chemo and was hospitalized for an infection the week after, but is home now waiting her second round on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claudia and Becky, thank you for your comments. I wish everyone who has been "on this journey" with us could have been with us yesterday to enjoy the benefits of hearing and experiencing the results.

    ReplyDelete