Wednesday, December 31, 2014

LAST POST FOR 2014

Tonight at midnight 2014 will officially come to an end.  A new year will stretch in front of us to make of it as we desire. This post will mostly be random thoughts about the year 2014 and dreams and desires for the year ahead of us.
 
WISHING THE BEST TO YOU AND YOU AND YOU IN 2015!

Sorry to say I'm ending the year a bit under the weather.  Seems the older I become the more health problems I have.  I have never enjoyed complaining about my health nor have I enjoyed hearing others constantly complain.  With that in mind, I will simply ask for prayers for upcoming tests.  I'm praying, and ask you to do the same, for my problems to be healed soon so I can get on with my life both in preparation for our move to Huntsville and for my work for the Lord.

Several of my post recently have involved our great-granddaughter, Allison and her giving spirit.  Check recent blogs to see what she asked for her 16th birthday.  We are so proud of her unselfish spirit.  We felt sure she would be rewarded for her generosity not only by the joy of giving to others, but felt sure she herself would receive in accordance with what she gave.  Her 16th birthday was December 22nd and she is the proud owner of a "new" car! 



Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

One of the big events of the year was finally deciding it was time to make a move.  Most of you know the reasoning behind it.  We are trying to make some adjustments to Claudia's house and move in with her.  So far we have added a large storage shed to her back yard and a fantastic screened in back porch that should be a great entertainment and fun area.  She, her children, grandchildren, other family members and friends are already enjoying it.  She surprised us by giving us a remodel to her front porch as a Christmas present.  She had new railings and a much needed hand rail installed.  This not only improved the front of the house but will be much more convenient for us to get up and down the front steps.  She has also come up each month since August and helped clean, pack and move quite a bit of our treasurers (junk.)  We have had other help as well.....Becky and Frank (our youngest son and his wife), Allen and Julia (our oldest son and his wife), Sharon (our youngest daughter) and Landen (our youngest grandson.)  I am probably forgetting some but not intentionally!  All help is greatly appreciated.



 
Huntsville, Alabama Here We Come!


I began the month discussing gift-giving and want to end it with another example of gift-giving that will never be forgotten.

Many times I have heard single women (either widowed, divorced or those who have never married) comment that it is hard to establish relationships with people at church, work etc.  I have encouraged them to invite us into their homes.  I am not concerned about Doyal being "exposed" to available women and haven't been for many years (if ever.)  He doesn't mind being with a bunch of women either as he usually pitches in and helps with the meal and clean up then leaves us to whatever we want to do and goes off to read or watch TV. 

I have also known women in this situation who open their homes not only to couples but to singles, college students, etc.  In my humble opinion there is NO excuse for people, especially Christians, to shelter themselves just because of their situation in life.  Open up to others and they will open up to you!

One prime example is my mother.

 
One of my favorite snapshots. Mother in her pink housecoat.


Mother was a prime example of a selfless giver.  From as early as I can remember she did little things for others.  We were not well off financially.  However, she found ways to do for others that most people wouldn't bother to do.

Here are a few examples.  Some of these I found out long after her death.

In 2000, a man in his middle 60's told me how he used to come to our house to get her to cover buttons for his mother.  Mother took all sorts of time with him explaining how her button covering machine worked.  He said,  "I'll never forget how much fun that was."  This cost Mother nothing, but was a gift no one else in our town could give a young boy.

I had a relative who was an alcoholic.  He had three children a few years younger than I.  After I left home, Mother "adopted" them.  She would have them come by for various things and on some occasions give them money from time to time for school trips etc.

As long as I was in school she was a room mother to my class.  She also served as PTA president even after I graduated.  She loved doing this.  She always took me shopping for small items to give to my entire class at Christmas.  My favorite memory of this was when we went to Montgomery for my doctor's appointment when I was in the Fourth Grade.  We went to Woolworth's where she found enough juice glasses for my entire class.  This was during the days when juice glasses were small (probably about 4 ounces.)  They were clear glass with orange and green stripes around the top.  Then we bought peanuts and filled the glasses and covered with cellophane tied with a pretty ribbon.

She was widowed at the age of 53 and moved to live with us until her death at the age of 86 years, 5 months.  Until she was 74 she lived in the house with us.  Then we moved and she chose to live in a trailer next door to where we built a house.  At that time she was in her element.  I taught a ladies Bible class on Tuesday mornings and several of the ladies brought their children.  Mother took it on herself to take the children in a classroom each Tuesday and have a class/play time with them.  A friendship grew from this.  She fell in love with these children and they with her.  Later she decided to have one at a time come to her house for breakfast.  She made tiny biscuits and put tiny sausage or bacon inside.  Then served juice and she and the child had a blast for a couple of hours together.  I never did know exactly what they did or talked about other than having breakfast but do know that even today when we visit our friends in Pike County Ohio these children who are in their late 30's and some in their early 40's talk about the fun times they had with "Granny Ward."

On any given day, and at any time of day one could find Mother sitting in her rocker tatting.  She loved to tat and many, many people still have the cross bookmarks she so lovingly made and gave to so many people.

 
A book mark that Granny made.
 
None of what my Mother did cost a lot of money, but everything she did left memories that will not soon be forgotten.

Three hours from now we will be ringing in the new year in Indiana.  Let's think about the different ways each of us can give of self this next year.  The greatest gift one can give is to lovingly give of self.

Our Savior is the ultimate example.

Ephesians 5:1-2 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Galations 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Galations 1:3-5 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

3 comments: