Thursday, December 18, 2014

GIFTS — WEEK #3



Here it is a week until Christmas Eve. Have you finished your buying, making, wrapping, decorating and all the things that surround the Christmas season? I finally got the last of our packages mailed a couple of days ago and was assured by our friends of the Lawrenceburg Post Office the packages would arrive before Christmas. Now, I have a few things to wrap for the children and grandchildren we will be with this Christmas. I also plan to make some of my special spiced tea recipe to give to special friends here. Then when Claudia arrives on Saturday we will quickly make about 12 jars of sugar scrub. This is her recipe that everyone who uses it loves.

This week I’m going to talk a little more about special gifts that children can give. These are gifts that have touched my heart over the years and ones that I will cherish always. To be truthful I don’t remember many of the gifts people have bought for me, but haven’t forgotten many of the ones that were made with love.

First, I would like to tell you something that will make your heart sing. It seems every time we turn on the news we are hearing and seeing horrible things that are happening in our world and many times right in our own neighborhoods. What is extremely sad is some of these horrible things are being done by teenagers. We bemoan the fact that all of our teens are headed for trouble if they aren’t already in trouble. I’m here to tell you that just "ain’t" true. (I only use that word for emphases.) My English teacher would turn over in her grave if she could see this even using it in jest.

Our great-granddaughter, Allison, will be 16 on the 22 of this month. (On a side note her Great-Daddy and I were engaged on that date in 1952.) All she asked for was a car. No, wait! That’s not right. That’s what most 16 year olds ask for. Here’s what Allison asked for. She went on Facebook and put out a request for shoes, clothing, hats, scarves, gloves, etc. for grade school children. I dare say she didn’t expect the response she received!

Her youth minister posted the following along with this picture.



"Meet Allison
She is one of my MYM manatees, and I couldn't be prouder.
She requested for her birthday, that instead of presents- people donate shoes to kids in need. The response was overwhelming.
Over 200 pairs of shoes at last count. Two vehicles worth of clothes.
Countless man-hours sorting and "just staring" at the mess.

We are not called to become perfect. We are to continually 'be becoming' who God wants us to be.
Very proud of you Allison.
It should be noted that this will embarrass her, and she hates the spotlight."

Allison posted this as a means of trying to thank the many people who donated and who helped her sort, label and deliver the donations to one of the local schools who have many children in need.



"I have waited to post a picture of the shoe drive donations because I cannot seem to find the words to describe how I thankful I am. I am blown away by the goodness of God. My prayer is that the donations are more than just a pair of shoes or a new coat to these families. I pray that compassion and love is seen through these items. Thank you to everyone who joined me and made this possible. Though I may never know how it impacts others, I know what God did in my heart through the drive and I thank Him for the opportunity."

What greater give could this 16 year old give than to give of her time, her money and her abilities! I am so very proud of this young lady!

Now, I would like to share some gift ideas that mothers, grandmothers and great-grandmothers will cherish. Maybe not all will but this one certainly does. I wish I had all the gifts my children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren have given me over the years. I have many more than the ones I am posting here but they are already packed and have been taken to our new home in Huntsville, Alabama awaiting our arrival.

There are several ornaments hanging on our tree that the Ford boys painted for us several years ago. I just this year returned handmade ornaments to one of my granddaughters for her to put on her tree to enjoy. Already in Huntsville is a lovely homemade Christmas wreath with a paper "My Grandmother" that a granddaughter in Oklahoma made many years ago. I decoupaged a poem on a decorative piece of wood many years ago. It was from our youngest son and spoke lovingly of his mother and what she meant to him. It too is already in Huntsville awaiting our arrival. The following two pictures are gifts I will cherish and will one day return to the giver.

 
Our 41 year old grandson name this for me when he was 8 years old and it has had a prominent place in our home since.



 
Our "adopted grandson" here in Lawrenceburg made this music box at Lowe's Children's Builders and gave it to us.  It holds some of my treasures.


These are just a few more ideas of the things children can give. Those of you who are still rearing your children; remember the best gift you can give your children is your time and what better way than to work with them on making gifts for others.

Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Acts 20:35 "......remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment