Saturday, September 14, 2013

It's Not All About Me

 
 
Do you ever have those days when you feel sorry for yourself?  Perhaps not, but I do from time to time.  I'm happy to say they aren't often, but they still come to visit every once in awhile. 
 
There are days I want special attention only to get it from the dogs!  Well, I can get that special attention if I ask for it but you know women....they expect the men in their lives to read their minds.  After 60+ years of marriage I don't have a big problem of asking for that attention around the house though.  Sometimes I have to get my man's attention first though by saying something like,  "This is important.  Turn around (from the computer), look at me and listen."  He usually does and that attention doesn't take a lot of time....maybe a jiffy to tell him about an email or get a kiss (he never minds that.)
 
There are other times that the old "Pity Party" comes and wants to visit.  It was during one of those brief visits that I created the above picture.  I plan to have it framed and put next to by bedside so when I wake up each day I'll be reminded that "It's NOT all about me!"
 
Now, I'll share a secret.  I rarely want something huge like a new house or a new car or an expensive vacation.  But recently I've been thinking about our ages and how long we usually keep cars.  This one is a 1998 but still has a tad less than 200,000 miles.  (So what do I need with a new car....right?)  Anyway, I told Doyal that this time around I want to be the one to pick out the car....make, model, color and all.  He mumbled an agreement for sometimes in the future.  Now remember he is 83 and I'm 78 so we don't have much future left here on this earth and we won't need a car in Heaven.
 
Well, yesterday at least 1/4 of that new vehicle was demolished!  Our heating and air conditioning unit has been acting up for a couple of years and the old thing just died on us!  So....with winter coming on, we decided we needed to get a new one.  The young man doing the work has already torn out the old system and will get the new one installed the early part of next week.  We knew it was more than 24 years old because it wasn't new when we moved in 24 years ago.  After he began tearing it out he revealed that it was more like 40 years old!
 
So, this winter we might be driving a 15 year old car but we'll be keeping warm with a brand new heating system! 
 
Nope, it's not all about me.  It is about us and what we really need.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. 1 Corinthians 10:24 NIV
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Lindsey. You know how I enjoy writing and think I'm going to enjoy blogging. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Drue :) Thought I'd check out your blog.

    I don't think I was ever old enough to appreciate your writing in the bulletins growing up, but wow you sure have some wise and interesting things to say!

    We all miss you and Doyal and hope you both are doing well!

    I hope somehow that new car pulls through anyway :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert, thank you so much. Your don't know how much good that does an old lady who once taught you as a little boy. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoy writing. Not something I inherited. I am like dad you have to bug me to get me to write anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula, you are funny. And you are right about your dad. I had to nag him all last year to work on his life story. So far he hasn't done "squat" on it this year and I was hoping for him to at least get to New Zealand a back in his life story. :)

    ReplyDelete