Saturday, December 7, 2013

MY ACCIDENT

I didn’t plan to write in my blog until after Christmas and then I had my accident! Thought I’d share it with my dedicated readers. I know you will be interested. It happened yesterday as I was wrapping presents to get to Denver so Frankie and his girls would receive them in time to start opening their 12-Days-of-Christmas which begins in our family on the 14th. I looked and looked and looked for a 5" X 7" envelope that I needed to put one of Frankie’s presents in. I couldn’t find one anywhere in the house and then had one of my bright ideas! I found some junk mail we had just received. Like the good re-cycler that I am, I began working on my envelope. I opened it, shredded the junk inside and began reassembling it. That’s when the accident happened! As I was gently removing the flaps on the side so I could turn the envelope inside out I slit my thumb! Have you ever had one of those paper cuts! They hurt like the dickens....right?

 
Oh my!  You can't even see my boo-boo.  How sad!

 
So, I began whining about that “awful” injury until I remembered my new motto; “It’s not all about me!”
 
 
It wasn’t long till I was able to focus on those less fortunate. The first that came to mind was our Claudia. Last Friday afternoon she was doing one of the things she loves.....not climbing on her kitchen bar, mind you......but decorating! She was on that counter for a short while. And then she fell! She landed on the couch in the sitting room side of the kitchen, hit her ear on the side of the coffee table while her leg stayed in place on the couch. Well, “stayed in place” is stretching it......it twisted and broke the tibia near the knee (or something like that....you’ll have to get the true and full story from her.) I do know that she has had x-rays and recently a CAT scan (waiting on the results). She is wearing a brace that keeps the leg immobilized at this point. The next thing will be another visit to an orthopaedic surgeon. We are praying she won’t have to have surgery and I am asking for your prayers for her as well.

 
My sweet "baby" and the first brace.  She smiles no matter the situation!
 
 
And I was whining about a paper cut!
 
 
We’ve had pretty bad weather here the last few days and there have been quite a few accidents in our television viewing area. We are snow/iced in for the time being. Plenty of food and the heat it working great.....too great right now for me....I’m warm! Frank’s fiancee, Becky lives in Georgetown, Kentucky which is almost 2 hours away. She came to Cincinnati after work Thursday and she and Frank had a lovely evening celebrating her birthday. She was so excited about all the thoughtful gifts Frank gave her. Someone taught that guy well! Then yesterday she and Frank braved the elements and got their marriage license. It’s a good thing as they will be married 2 weeks from tonight. Schools were closed all over yesterday because of ice and snow and things were getting worse when they left Cincinnati to go to Georgetown. Why would they decide to make the trip in not so great weather, you ask. I’ll tell you. Her baby was celebrating her 19th birthday the next day (today.) What mother worth her salt would miss her child’s birthday if is was possible to be there. They left in plenty of time to arrive before dark with Frank leading the way in his car and Becky following. About 10 miles from Georgetown Frank went over a hill and lost sight of Becky for about 2 minutes. The next think was a call telling him she had rolled her car! Imagine his fright as he quickly made his way back to find his sweetheart not only alive, but without a scratch! We’ve played the “what could have been” ever since. I was doing decently fine until during one of our conversations we were saying we could have lost her and Doyal said, “And, they just got their marriage license today.” I had my cry then!

 
Becky's car after rolling and landing on the driver's side.
 
 
 
And I was whining about a paper cut!
 
 
Becky has become a celebrity over this. A Lexington TV station came to the scene and interviewed her and there was also a write up about the accident. Both mentioned the fact that she had celebrated her birthday the day before and their upcoming wedding. She said they left out her joke. She joked to the camera crew when they came up to her and was ready to tape, "Oh gosh I must look a wreck. No pun intended." Today when she and Frank were doing a little Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart she said Santa Clause recognized her from being on the evening news. Here I am 78 years old and Santa has never recognized me! I sure don’t want to be in a wreck for him to recognize me though! Thinking of all of this and what could have been still makes me shake!
 
 
A couple of smaller issues within the family that are a worse that a paper cut.....one of our pregnant granddaughters had a tummy bug this week end. I’m praying that has left their house by now! Those things are no fun at any time and especially when a mommy-to-be is the recepient. Today we heard from our Oklahoma family. They experienced a pretty heavy earthquake. It didn’t do any damage that I know of, but could have been worse.
 
 
From now on I am going to try to remember even better.......
 
 
“It’s not all about me!”

Sunday afternoon @ 3:35.  Happy to report that everyone is doing fine....well as fine as one can expect.  Becky said she isn't in nearly as much pain as yesterday.  Claudia was not in much pain when I talked with her earlier in the day.  Frank posted three videos on Facebook of three different news interviews.  I copied them to my Facebook page but do not know how to put them on this post.  If you are a Facebook member I think you will enjoy them.  Such a romantic news cast over a potentially serious accident.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Drue I just had long comment disappear because I tried to sign in using WP, so I'll make this short. I'm happy to hear all turned our well for your family. I'm tickled Frank is getting married again. I'm very happy for him and his Becky.
    I'll be praying for Claudia's recovery and that your granddaughter doesn't get anymore bugs while pregnant and ofcourse that your paper cut heals fast.
    Wishing you and your family a very blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete